We hear lots of arguments from people who are unwilling to reject the Energy East project. Here are some of the most common ones, debunked.
1. “Pipelines are a safer/ better option that transporting oil by rail.”
2. “You came here in a car, didn’t you?”
3. “I hope you’re willing to say goodbye to all those social programs that are subsidized by oil industry revenues!”
4. “The oilsands only accounts for a small fraction of the world’s CO2 emissions, so why should I care about what Canada is doing when other countries are far worse polluters?”
5. “I would oppose this idea if there was any point to it, but the government will do what it likes.” This comment is closely related to, “We definitely need to transition off fossil fuels, but the markets will take care of this in time.”